Online Miso Making workshop (Lecture & Making Support)
Interested in making organic miso (variety of choice) via online Zoom lecture and Messenger support?
I am going to host a small pilot class (max 6 person) on 15 Aug (lecture) and 16 Aug (making).
The class is designed in the modular format. You can choose the component(s) based on your needs.
Component 1: Order your choice of miso
Component 2: In-depth Zoom lecture
Component 3: Making-Together support
Component 4: Miso cooking class (The date yet to be announced)
Component 1: Choose your choice of miso kit
Following miso kits are available to order. (Alternatively you can use your own ingredients. You need koji, soybeans and salt. I will advice you the quantity required. Please inquire. Variety of koji packs can be ordered from TKF website.)
- Sweet rice miso : Shorter fermentation time, sweet rice flavour, ideal for dipping sauce, dressing, marinating sauce etc.
- Standard rice miso：About 10 mths fermentation. During the fermentation, miso will develop deeper and more complex flavour so it is ideal for miso soup. Of course, you can use it in the same way as sweet rice miso. 80% of miso consumption in Japan is this type.
- Barley miso：About 10 mths fermentation. Miso will develop distinctive rich sweetness and deep umami. This type is very popular among Western people, probably because of the wheat/barley-based food culture.
- Red bean miso：About 10 mths fermentation, this type of miso is umami-rich.
NB: Please place the order well in advance to the scheduled lecture date.
includes koji, soybean, salt and sakekasu
|Sweet Rice Miso||£18||Kit weight <400g|
Estimate final weight 500g
|Standard Rice Miso||Kit weight >400g|
Estimate final weight 600g
|Barley Miso||Kit weight >400g|
Estimate final weight 550g
|Soybean & Rice Miso||Kit weight <600g|
Estimate final weight 650g
|Postage||Up to 2kg||£5||Sorry the postage is in-proportionately high. But the good news is that when you combine the products, the postage still stays same as long as the total weight doesn’t exceed 2kg.|
Component 2: Attend 60 min in-depth Zoom Lecture which covers：
- What is miso?
- Where does it from?
- Various type of miso
- Procedure of miso making
- Miso’s fermentation process
- How to store it during and after the fermentation?
- The choice of ingredients and equipment etc.
The cost of the Zoom lecture is –
£ 20 if you purchase either miso kit or koji pack from TKF
£ 25 if you use your own ingredients
Component 3: “Making together” miso support
If you made miso before or feel confident enough to make it on your own, please go ahead and make miso👍 Let me know how it goes.
If you are still not sure, this component is for you (Only available for lecture attendants)
I will be available throughout miso making process from washing & soaking beans to cooking beans & making miso. Support will be provided via Messenger group and Zoom session.
The cost for this component is £10.
Compoment ４: Miso Cooking Class by Mizue
Mizue, a fabulous cooking teacher and one of the founder of the koji fermenteria, will generously share her three original miso recipes with you. The class is accompanied with the cooking demonstration. Her recipes are renowned for being very easy to follow, very tempting to repeat as well as, of course, super delicious!
The cost of the class is £10. The class is open to everyone!
Lecture 15 Aug (Sat) 2 pm
Messenger support 15-16 Aug (Sat-Sun)
Zoom session 16 Aug (Sun) 4 pm (for miso making)
Miso cooking class To be announced (Date/Time will be notified via email)
For any question, please contact Haruko (email@example.com)