【Bacic】Koji Making Workshop
Koji has been treasured in Japan for thousands of years as it creates essential tastes and flavours the Japanese cuisine totally owes to. In fact, the Japanese food culture we have today wouldn’t have existed as, without koji, none of sake, miso, shoyu, mirin, rice vinegar and many other essential Japanese condiments could have been brewed.
After the revelation of koji magic via series of recent publications, it is now treasured globally as it has huge potential to make any food tastier.
This is the koji basic class to familiarise yourself to get started with making koji.
You might feel intimidated or even put off by the fact that koji takes 48 hours to grow requiring some level of attention and temperature control. However, by knowing what it is, what it likes and what it doesn’t like, in reality, growing koji is far easier than you would think. Also, apart from the steamer (sorry you can’t get away with this), you can grow koji with very humble setting using things you find in most of the kitchens.
In this class, you will learn everything you need to know to grow koji, in very experiential way. Wherever possible, processes will be demonstrated. You will also take home inoculated koji to further grow with my online assistance (For this, having facebook account will be very beneficial).
The following topics will be covered. The class takes approximately three hours.
- What is koji? Why people get excited about it?
- Koji making procedure summary
- Ingredient, tools and equipment
- Detailed steps : Washing/Soaking (explanation & demonstration by video)
- Detailed steps : Draining (explanation & demonstration by video)
- Detailed steps : Steaming (explanation & demonstration)
- Detailed steps : Inoculation (explanation and demonstration)
- Detailed steps : Wrapping (explanation and demonstration)
- Detailed steps : Mixing (explanation and & demonstration by video)
- Storing koji (explanation)
9th January (Sun) 1pm-4pm
The Koji Fermenteria
07900 261 482
- Lecture and demonstrations of growing koji
- Photocopies of the slide and links to the demonstration video clips will be provided
- 150g of inoculated koji to take home with koji making kit & insulated envelope. You are encouraged to grow koji for subsequent 48 hours
- Guidance and follow-ups of making koji through Facebook private group
- 5g of koji starters (to make 5 kg of koji)
- 200g of rice koji for you to explore
I look forward to welcoming you at The Koji Fermenteria.
Should you need any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you would like to purchase a whole bag of starter (20g bag to make 15 kg of koji) and/or Koji for Life (book), you can purchase them at the time of registration.