【Advanced】Koji Making Workshop
Koji has been treasured in Japan for thousands of years as it creates essential tastes and flavours the Japanese cuisine totally owes to. In fact, the Japanese food culture we have today wouldn’t have existed as, without koji, none of sake, miso, shoyu, mirin, rice vinegar and many other essential Japanese condiments could have been brewed.
After the revelation of koji magic via series of recent publications, it is now treasured globally as it has huge potential to make any food tastier.
This is the koji advanced class for those of you who already has some experience of making koji and aiming at enabling you to fine tune your koji making for your own goal. Depending on your plan to use koji, the optimum koji (ie. enzyme balance) is different. I will talk about the various factors which impact the enzyme balance.
The following topics will be covered. The class takes approximately 2.5 hours.
- Reviewing koji making process in relation to koji growing phases
- Koji’s enzyme production mechanism
- Why temperature control is important?
- Why humidity control is important?
- Considerations for choosing the substrates
- Considerations for choosing koji starters
- How koji has been used in traditional ferments in Japan
- Tasting homemade koji ferments (shoyu, mirin, sake, vinegar, miso)
- Some example of short term ferments
- Shio-koji, Sagohachi bed
- Barley koji making
18th Jan (Tue) 1.00-4.00 PM
The Koji Fermenteria
38 Southover,Woodside Park,London N12 7ES
(5 minutes walk from Woodside Park station – Northern Line)
07900 261 482
- Lecture and some demonstrations of making barley koji
- Photocopies of the slides
- Tasting of various home made ferments
- 150g of inoculated barley koji to take home (please bring the kit you used in the basic class)
- 200g of Shio-koji or Amazake (Citric or Traditional)
I look forward to welcoming you at The Koji Fermenteria.
Should you need any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me (email@example.com)
Should you wish to take home both or all of Shio-koji(two types)/Amazake(two types), extra cost is £5.00 per each. Please let me know in advance which one of the following you wish to take home.
- Amazake (Citric)
- Amazake (Traditional)