2109 In-person Koji Making for professional “Filling in the missing pieces”
We are happy to announce our first in-person koji making class in 20 month. This will be an in-depth koji class for professional.
The Japanese has been treasuring koji for thousands of years, owing to its creation of the tastes and flavours on which Japanese food culture has been built. It plays an irreplaceable role in making sake, miso, shoyu, mirin, rice vinegar and many other essential Japanese condiments, without which Japanese cuisine wouldn’t exist today.
More recently, as soon as koji was introduced to the global culinary community, it has been treated as the rising star due to its unique enzymatic ability – the ability which makes the food alchemy possible. Radical approaches to grow koji and many innovative applications are being introduced, which are being shared all over the world in excitement.
We are so happy to see these movements and are amazed by the flexibility of people’s thinking. It is fascinating to see many emerging ways which Japanese probably could never have thought of because of the inevitable preconception. However, there seems to be a few missing pieces of the puzzle, which could potentially enable people to make more out of koji.
So the aim of this class is to fill in these missing pieces.
Every method that the Japanese established throughout the long history of dealing with koji has its reason. There are lots of contradicting requirements in koji making and it involves consecutive decision makings depending on your goal. After all, koji making is not a mere process. It is rather communication with koji, a living creature. Therefore, knowing their fundamental would equip you better to make informed choices that suit your needs. After this, koji making will make more sense and we assure you that koji making will become more fun!!
The class format is in-person, but we also use Facebook’s social learning platforms for follow-up.
London N12 7ES
(5 minutes walk from Woodside Park station – Northern Line)
The house has solar panels installed in front roof, so you won’t miss it!
07900 261 482
【What is included】
- Each steps of koji making will be fully explained by referring to its biological nature
- The purpose of making koji will be reconfirmed and how best to produce each type of enzymes will be explained
- Processes up to inoculation (the essential part of koji making) are fully demonstrated.
- Participants will bring home inoculated koji and grow them for subsequent 48 hours
- Guidance and follow-ups will be given through Facebook private group during this period
- Consideration of the choice of substrates as well as koji spores will be explained
- Tips to use koji in most effective way will be explained
- The participants will have opportunity to taste various koji ferments
- 200g of rice koji (ready to use) and a bag of koji starter will be provided